3 Exciting Themed Kitchen Makeovers
When the decorating bug hits, what better room to redecorate than the kitchen, the heart of the home? Whether you're into scouring the swap meets and thrift stores for vintage finds or yearning to create a spare, gleaming modern-style kitchen, we've got some ideas that will help.
Retro Vintage Flair
- Cabinets: Painted cabinets in a soft pastel color create a vintage tone in your kitchen. Glass-front cabinets and open shelving are helpful vintage décor elements, too. They give you the opportunity to highlight classic glassware and mid-century melamine or ceramic dinnerware.
- Counters: A butcherblock countertop fits well with the retro vibe, and the addition of matching wooden handles on white-painted cabinets gives a clean, neat appearance to the kitchen. If you can't find vintage small appliances in good shape, reproductions are readily available to continue the theme.
- Walls: Bright mint green, rose pink and deep yellow are all timeless colors that serve as the perfect backdrop for traditional white, harvest gold or avocado green appliances. If you can find a retro kitchen wallpaper pattern, that's another creative option.
- Windows: Ruffles and gingham bring on the charm in an old-timey kitchen. A plain window shade behind bright curtains gives that 1950s era touch to your kitchen.
- Appliances: One of the most charming features in a vintage kitchen is often the sink. If you find a mid-century ceramic or enamel sink in good condition, snap it up! This could be the centerpiece of your kitchen's vintage theme. To add even more retro pizzazz, surround it with a ruffled skirt that matches the window treatment.
- Cabinets: Wooden cabinets and shelving are the way to go here. Natural wood against painted beadboard walls is about as luxuriously rustic as you can get. Once again, you can choose to take advantage of open shelving to highlight pewter, wicker and other farm-style components of your kitchen.
- Counters: Butcherblock works here, too, but another option is ceramic tile squares. Glossy ceramic tile in navy blue with a few white accent tiles thrown in is appealing, but a granite countertop also fits right in with the farmhouse style. Vintage glass or ceramic storage canisters will liven up the counters.
- Walls: Robin's egg blue and white are clean, bright colors that open up the kitchen and give you many decorating options. If you have enough space, add a row of hooks for themed kitchen aprons.
Windows: farmhouse-style window pane inserts
- Windows: You can have a lot of fun picking out farmhouse-style window pane inserts that make your windows stand out. A crisscross pattern on the top few inches is an appealing touch, framed by sheer, gauzy drapes tied back on each side.
- Appliances: This is one design scheme in which white major appliances are perfect. Chrome or enamel have a similar vibe, and matching small appliances can help carry the theme.
Sleek and Modern
- Cabinets: Handle-free and self-closing cabinets are a smooth, seamless and trendy choice in a cutting-edge kitchen. Highly reflective enamel finish in white or black completes the new age effect.
- Counters: Highly polished white quartz countertops are the perfect companion for your glossy cabinets. Dark granite and stainless steel are other trendy counter materials, depending on the color scheme. Spindly, high-tech bar chairs can turn your island counter into a bistro.
- Walls: Solid color walls are most often used in a modern-themed kitchen as a backdrop for the other style elements. White or black are frequently chosen, but you can design a modern kitchen around a concrete or brick wall, too.
- Windows: Wide, tall and open windows give your artistic choices the spotlight in a contemporary kitchen. Minimalist window treatments are right in line with the sleek texture of the rest of the room.
Appliances: a high-gauge stainless steel sink
- Appliances: An island with a professional gas-burning stove is a plus for the modern kitchen. Topped with a vent hood in copper or stainless steel, it creates a semi-industrial feel. Add a high-gauge stainless steel sink to continue the trendy restaurant fusion vibe.
Create a Kitchen to Suite Your Personality
A kitchen remodel gives you the opportunity to design a themed space in your home that can bring you joy for years to come. It's a reflection of your style and taste, and it's the perfect place to spread your wings and create an atmosphere that makes you happy. The kitchen is the hub that the family revolves around, and it's a logical place to employ your creativity and decorating skills.